The Webster’s dictionary describes ‘personality’ as the sum total of the individual’s distinguishing character traits, attitudes and habits.
Personality is, therefore, your unique identity. Industry chiefs often say that a candidate’s inability to articulate his thoughts is the main reason for failure in interviews.
Personality grooming is all about fine tuning one’s attitudes, communication skills and etiquette.
Here’s is a quick look at the process of personality development.
Clothes, hairstyle and accessories must complement and enhance your physique. While you don’t need to splurge on designer clothes, it is necessary to dress for the occasion.
The first impression
The first impression is formed in a few seconds by people you meet, like teachers or prospective employers. They make a quick assessment of your physical appearance and body language. Never undermine the importance of a genuine smile. Greet people appropriately. Learn to give a quick, comprehensive introduction of yourself. Pay attention to the speaker and mentally register his/ her name and profile. This will save you much embarrassment in the future.
Attitude is the most important attribute of personality. There are some basic life attitudes, which are:
Self-esteem: Simply put, this is how you feel about yourself. Stay confident. If you have an inferiority complex, take corrective steps with professional help.
Empathy: Show concern for others. It is a very essential trait if you hope to develop strong inter-personal relationships.
Hope: Believe in the power of positive thinking and tell yourself that good things happen to good people. As a youngster, this attitude is important as it helps you realise your dreams and shape your life.
Forgiveness: This trait is very necessary as it helps you to drop unnecessary emotional baggage and move on. It was Mahatma Gandhi who said, “The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.”
Knowledge: Equip yourself with domain knowledge and general knowledge. Stay abreast of national and international events.
Skill: Develop the ability to apply your knowledge while executing a given job. Skill can be acquired by training and experience. Use every opportunity that comes your way to sharpen your skills.
You are your greatest asset, so invest time and energy in personality grooming.
- Dress appropriately.
- Pay attention to personal hygiene. Use make up, deodorants and perfumes in moderation.
- Smile. It is the most inexpensive way to improve your personality.
- Articulate your thoughts clearly.
- When you meet someone, greet them appropriately.
- Listen actively. Maintain eye contact with the speaker.
- Be disciplined and punctual.
- Even though you may specialise in one subject, it is essential to have a general understanding of other subjects. For example, as an MBA specialising in marketing, you must have an overview of finance, human resources, and operations.
- Set your goals, considering your strengths and interests.
- Work hard to achieve your goals.